Marys beat Fenagh after pulsating penalty contest

Oct 1, 2022 21:10 By Shannonside Sport
Marys beat Fenagh after pulsating penalty contest Marys beat Fenagh after pulsating penalty contest
Share this article
Sponsored by

St Marys beat Fenagh after pulsating penalty contest

St. Mary’s booked their place in the Leitrim SFC final after a dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Fenagh writes Jack Gannon.

Fenagh got off to the better start after points from both Ryan and Riordan O’Rourke. St Marys relied on frees from the boot of Paul Keaney. Keaney got his first of the contest after six minutes as they trailed Fenagh by a point.

Ryan O’Rourke and Paul Keaney traded scores before Donal Wyrnn convertedt a Fenagh 45 for a two point advantage. Ryan O’Rourke would add another point to his tally as Fenagh led by three after 19 minutes.


Marys would score back-to-back frees in the form of Conor Hackett and Paul Keaney before Fenagh replied with back-to-back scores. Donal Wyrnn landed a 45 and Riordan O’Rourke slotted over his second point of the game from a free.

Paul Keaney would kick the last score of the half to see Fenaghs lead cut down to two.

Both teams started the second-half slowly. Taking Ryan O’Rourke 14 minutes to get the first score via a free. Just before this however, St Marys had a goal ruled out due to a square ball.


Kiltoghert then got four points without reply to lead by a point. The first of which coming from James McGrail as he got his team’s first point from play. Paul Keaney kicked the other three points, two being frees.

On 58 minutes Ryan O’Rourke made it nine points a-piece with a well taken free. St Marys thought they had the game won after Paul Keaney converted a free after three minutes of additional time.

However, Donal Wyrnn managed to convert his 45 with the last kick of the game to send us to extra-time. It finished ten points apiece after normal time.


St Marys would start off extra-time as the better team and they were rewarded with two exceptional scores from David O’Connell and Diarmuid Kelleher. Ryan O’Rourke halfed St Mary's lead just before half-time with a well worked score.

The second-half of extra-time never got going with both sides fatigued.

St Marys were full sure they had the game won when Paul Keaney lined up to take a free in the last minute however his attempt would fall short.


Fenagh worked the ball up the pitch in a great move, resulting in Oisin McLoughlin sending the game to penalties with the last kick of the game. It finished 12 points a-piece.

St Marys would convert all five of their penalties giving Fenagh goalkeeper Shane Doonan no chance.

Fenagh would convert their first four penalties too, before it all came down to Riordan O’Rourke to send the shootout into sudden death.


Unfortunately for O’Rourke and his club Sean Reynolds managed to save it sending St Marys to the Leitrim SFC final in two week’s time.

Tags used in this article
Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2023 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus