Buccaneers suffer heavy defeat to Queen's

Jan 17, 2022 16:01 By Dave Hooper
Buccaneers suffer heavy defeat to Queen's Buccaneers suffer heavy defeat to Queen's
Share this article

Buccaneers suffer heavy defeat to Queen's

Buccaneers suffered a chastening 40-8 defeat to Queen’s University when the Energia All-Ireland League recommenced after the mid-season break.

This was a most disappointing outcome to what had been a terrific Division 2A duel contested at Dubarry Park on Saturday.

The match was in the balance until past the hour mark but then Queen’s showed why they are clear table toppers when they scored four tries in the final quarter hour to extend their lead at the top of the leaderboard. It was nip and tuck for an hour but the Ulster side were clinical when chances, too often through home errors, presented themselves while Buccs toiled to gain reward from a fair share of good territory and possession.


The hosts quickly forced a penalty which Michael Hanley nailed after just two minutes. Within six minutes the lead changed hands when, following a scrum in midfield, Queen’s moved the ball smartly to the stand side where Simon McMaster drew the final defender before sending Michael Orr in for a try converted by Ritchie McMaster.

Buccs responded swiftly when McCormack and Ciaran Booth made strong carries following a penalty to the left touch and O’Carroll finished off this phase with another typically well-taken try in the corner.

Hanley’s conversion was narrowly off-target but the Pirates led 8-7. That advantage, however, lasted just two minutes with Queen’s again making ground on the left before McLoughlin finished off this fine move for a try to the right of the goalposts.


Ritchie McMaster duly added the conversion. The College side then stretched Buccs just before the first water break but O’Carroll put in a good tackle near the corner flag. Shortly afterwards Shane Layden had to be steadfast to halt the ever-dangerous Orr.

Next it was Buccaneers turn to threaten with Illo and Booth combining to make good ground leading to a 30th minute penalty that Hanley punted to the left.

From the lineout the homesters moved the ball quickly infield where Ben Heath’s deliberate knock-on earned the centre ten minutes in the sin bin.


The midlanders now piled forward, camped in the visitors’ 22, but lacked precision and cuteness to unlock committed defending by the Students although it took a 33rd minute try-saving tackle by Power to deny O’Carroll a second try.

O’Carroll was injured in this incident and Thomas McGann was shunted into touch moments later within touching distance of the Queen’s line.

The on-going pressure saw Conor McMenamin yellow carded for obstruction but the visitors somehow hung on to their 14-8 advantage after a first half that was a great advertisement for club rugby.


Five minutes into the second half Stephen Mannion’s long-range penalty was off-target while Conor McKee’s placekick for the visitors from half-way rebounded off an upright.

On the hour mark there was a clear-cut forward pass in a Queen’s move that led to a penalty but justice was served when McMaster’s kick went wide. With the game still finely balanced, Donegal man McMenamin was a shade fortunate not to incur a second yellow card following an untidy tackle that stopped McCormack’s progress. Buccs pressed forward after the resultant penalty and looked sure to score a try as they stretched the Ulstermen from side to side but a telegraphed and unwise long pass was picked off by James Humphreys (son of David) and the substitute raced over 80 metres to score an unconverted try that took the wind out of the Pirates sails. This was the score that turned the tide against the home crew.

Buccs now capitulated and Queen’s added a further three tries in the closing stages. An impressive 70th minute maul was finished off by Chris Poole with McMaster landing the conversion.


Three minutes later two home players dithered and allowed the ball to hop and Hanley’s scrambling effort to pass was fastened on to by Heath for a try converted by Humphreys. It was now all going awry for the hosts and Robbie Johnston notched his side’s sixth try with Humphreys conversion completing the 40-8 score-line.

One minute’s silence, with the teams facing towards Tullamore, was observed as a mark of respect for Ashling Murphy who was brutally attacked and killed during the week. May she rest in eternal peace.

Buccaneers: R.Fallon; T.McGann, S.Layden, S.Mannion, S.O’Carroll; M.Hanley, E.O’Reilly; M.Staunton, D.Browne, S.Illo; R.Byrne, D.Qualter; O.McCormack, E.Galvin (c), C.Booth.

Replacements: T.Shine (O’Carroll 32),W.Reilly (O’Reilly, h/t), D.Adamson (for Browne, ht), J.Kelly (Staunton 53), T.Maree (Byrne 57 ), M.Staunton (Illo 70) and R.Byrne (Qualte, 73).

Queen’s University: M.Orr; S.McMaster, B.Heath, R.Johnston, B.Power; R.McMaster, C.McKee; G.Saunderson, H.Long, M.Millar; N.Philipson, C.McMenamin; L.McLoughlin, C.Pollock, D.Whitten (c).

Replacements: A.McGrath (S.McMaster, 26), C.Poole (Long, 50), A.Lupari (Millar 50), J.Humphreys (McGrath 52), P.McAlpine (Saunderson 57) and A.McGrath (Philipson 70 ).

Referee: John Flynn (IRFU)

Tags used in this article
Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2022 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus