News

Local council in High Court action over alleged trespass at Traveller housing site

Jun 23, 2022 17:06 By Shannonside News
Local council in High Court action over alleged trespass at Traveller housing site Local council in High Court action over alleged trespass at Traveller housing site
Share this article

The council claimed a group of individuals wearing balaclava's cut open a locked barrier and placed their two caravans on an empty lot of the property.

Leitrim Co Council has brought High Court injunction proceedings aimed at removing persons claimed to be trespassing on part of a Traveller Group Housing Scheme to vacate the property.

The court heard that the alleged trespass commenced earlier this month when "a group of individuals wearing balaclava's cut open a locked barrier and placed their two caravans on an empty lot of the property, which is beside a playschool.

The alleged trespasser's actions it's claimed " terrified staff and children" at the creche resulting in parents being called to come and collect their children, and the Gardai were called.

Advertisement

Lawyers for the council say that the occupiers have parked their caravans in a derelict bay at the Shannonside View Traveller Group Housing Scheme in Carrick-on-Shannon Co Leitrim and have refused to leave the site.

The court heard that some of the persons it claims are illegally occupying the site have identified themselves as John Mongan, John Mongan Junior and Margaret Mongan, who said they had moved from Dublin.

The council says that it has approached those persons, who it says have no permission to be on the site, which is owned and operated by the council.

Advertisement

However, the occupants have refused to vacate the site, resulting in the council seeking an injunction from the High Court.

The matter came before Mr Justice Brian O'Moore the High Court on Wednesday, who on an ex-parte basis said he was satisfied to make orders against the three named individuals and all other persons that are wrongfully in occupation of the site.

The judge said he was prepared to grant orders restraining the occupants from interfering with or obstructing the council from taking possession of the property in question.

Advertisement

The court also made an order restraining the defendant from entering or placing any further structures on the land without the council's consent.

Seeking the order Niall Flynn BL for the council said that it is his client's case that there are serious health and safety concerns regarding the bay.

The housing scheme in question is "not a transient site" which facilitates random occupation by travelling parties.

Advertisement

It contains 14 bays which the council says are allocated by it to individuals and families on a contractual basis according to the council.

The matter will return before the High Court later this month.

Share this article
Advertisement
Advertisement

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2022 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus