Late Rovers winner downs Longford Town

Apr 17, 2021 20:04 By Dave Hooper
Late Rovers winner downs Longford Town Late Rovers winner downs Longford Town
Longford Town Match Report
Share this article

Sean Gannon's last gasp deflected effort denies Longford Town a point

A last gasp Sean Gannon deflected effort saw Shamrock Rovers grab a 2-1 victory over Longford Town in Tallaght stadium.

Longford Town stunned the champions after just six minutes with the opening goal after Rovers were caught napping in possession.

Roberto Lopez took a heavy touch from a Graham Burke pass which was pounced on by Town striker Aaron Dobbs, who was fouled by Lopez with referee Rob Hennessy pointing to the spot.


Up stepped Grimes to send Rovers’ keeper Alan Mannus the wrong way as he despatched his penalty to the bottom right corner of the Hoops net to give the visitors a surprise lead.

Rovers dominated possession for the next 15 minutes winning four corners and having a couple of shots which were straight at Town keeper Mick Kelly, but the Town defence held firm.

Town came back into the contest and tested the Rovers’ rear-guard with some testing deliveries into the home sides’ penalty area, but chances for both sides were at a premium.


The home side came close to equalising twice in the final five minutes of the first half. Firstly, a Sean Kavanagh strike from 22-yards out on 41-minutes flew narrowly over the Town crossbar.

On the half-time whistle, Aaron Greene headed a Graham Burke cross straight at keeper Kelly.

The hosts started the second-half in whirlwind fashion, testing Town keeper Kelly twice in the opening minute.


Chris McCann saw his effort pushed around the post by Kelly and from the resulting corner, a Burke header from a Mandroiu delivery was brilliantly saved by the Town stopper.

The Hoops were back on level terms on 54 minutes with a penalty of their own.

Burke’s corner resulted in Lopes tangling with Dobbs, and for the second time in the match, referee Hennessy pointed to the spot, with Burke firing his spot kick straight down the middle to make it one-all.


The visitors almost regained the lead on 65 minutes. A super jinking run from Grimes set-up Aaron Robinson but his shot was superbly tipped around the post by Mannus.

Two minutes later, the Town had another excellent chance, this time an Elworthy ball into the box caught the Rovers’ defence by surprise and Karl Chambers reflex shot from the edge of the box landed on the roof of the Rovers’ net.

Rovers’ substitute, Rory Gaffney fired an angled shot into the Longford side-netting 15 minutes from time, and three minutes later, a hooked effort from Burke was just off target.


Rovers almost won the game in stoppage time but Kelly made a magnificent save from Dylan Watts.

However, Longford suffered heartbreak in the third minute of additional time as a Watts free-kick came back off the Longford wall into the path of Sean Gannon.

Gannon’s and his 25-yard shot took a wicked deflection off Aodh Dervan and although Kelly got his hand to the ball, it spun into the Longford net.

Shamrock Rovers: Mannus, Lopes, Grace, Scales, Gannon, McCann, Finn, Kavanagh, Mandroiu, Greene, Burke. Finn, Kavanagh, Mandroiu, Greene, Burke.

Substitutions: Gaffney for Grace, O’Neill for Finn (both half-time), Watts for Mandroiu (58 minutes)

Longford Town: Kelly, Chambers, O’Driscoll, Gorman, Kirk, Elworthy, Dervin, Robinson, Bolger, Grimes, Dobbs.

Substitutions: Verdon for Bolger (72 minutes), Rob Manley for Dobbs (80 minutes)

Referee: Rob Hennessy (Dublin)

Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2021 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus