Roscommon and District League round-up

Sep 13, 2021 13:09 By Dave Hooper
Roscommon and District League round-up Roscommon and District League round-up
Share this article

St Johns Athletic lead the Roscommon and District League

In the Roscommon and District League Premier Division St Johns Athletic and Boyle Celtic played out a thrilling game at Lecarrow.

Callum Andrews gave Boyle Celtic a 1–0 lead after 12 minutes, Darren Foley made it 2-0 five minutes later. However the hosts fought back, Kevin Brennan and M J O Connor had the side’s level at half-time.

Within minutes of the restart Callum Andrews scored his second for Boyle and with only a minute remaining St Johns won a penalty kick. Kevin Brennan converted to win a hard earned point for his side.


In Division one Dysart had their first win of the season beating Ballinagare / Manor United 3–2 at Ballinagare. Dysart started slow and found themselves 2–0 down with 30 minutes played.

Tom and Gerry Ward scored for the hosts. Gradually Dysart regained their composure and were rewarded when a Niall Corbett free-kick from the edge of the penalty area, which was volleyed towards goal by Kenny Doolin, the keeper did very well to stop the shot, the ball ran free and James Corbett converted.

Moments Niall Corbett’s corner kick reached young Daniel Kelly whose overhead was handled on the goal line by a home defender. After the home played was sent off Niall Corbett coolly converted the resultant penalty to leave the sides level at half-time.


Dysart took advantage of the extra man and Corbett added their winner on the hour.

Ballinasloe Town beat Dunmore Town 3–0 at Ballinasloe and they lead this Division. Danny O’Brien Keith Kelly and a Wayne Coyne penalty made up their total.

Roscommon United beat Skyvalley Rovers 3–1 at Roscommon. A stunning strike from Brazilian Marcel gave the hosts a 1–0 lead after 15 minutes. The visitors struck back through Eoin Keogh before half-time.


Vando headed the Town side in front with on 62 minutes and 10 minutes later Marcos back heeled the ball to the Skyvalley Rovers net to secure three points.

Shiven Rovers picked up their first win of the season when they beat Glen Celtic 4–2 at Glenamaddy. Tom Doyle and Frai Chiza gave the Newbridge side a 2–0 lead early in the first-half.

Ryan Mc Hugh pulled one back before Adam Farrell added a third for Shiven before half-time. Adam Farrell added his second with 20 remaining and 10 minutes later P J Shanks added a second for Glen Celtic.


Cam Celtic continued their winning run in Division 2 thanks to a hard earned 2–1 win at home to Ballymoe. Kevin Morgan gave Ballymoe a 1–0 lead with a well struck free-kick after 24 minutes.

Gareth Mulligan levelled the game with time running out in the first-half and Cormack Harney scored the winner just after the resumption.

Boyle Celtic beat St Johns Athletic 4–2 in their Division 2 game at Lecarrow. They are in second place in the table, two points behind Cam Celtic. Niall Bambrick scored twice, Reece Shanley and Adam Masterson added one each for Celtic. James Heffernan and Pa Tiernan replied for the St Johns.


Skyvalley Rovers beat Moore United 4–2 at Falty Park Moore. Tommy Costello and Shane Naughton gave Skyvalley a 2–0 advantage early in the game. An own goal and a second from Francis Lennon Levelled it at half-time. Goals from Richard Browne and Mooney Farragher in the last three minutes won all three points for the Taughmaconnell side.

Tags used in this article
Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2021 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus