Nine man Longford Town end winless run of 25 games

Sep 11, 2021 21:09 By Michael Cooke
Nine man Longford Town end winless run of 25 games Nine man Longford Town end winless run of 25 games
Longford Town Match Report
Share this article

Aaron O'Driscoll scored the winner on the stroke of half-time.

Longford Town ended a winless run of 25 games in the SSE Airtricity Premier Division beating Dundalk 1-0 at Bishopsgate.

Aaron O’Driscoll’s header just before half-time proved decisive as Town picked up their first league win since the opening day of the season.

Dundalk almost broke the deadlock after six minutes. Raivis Jurkovskis’ cross volleyed over the crossbar by Sam Stanton from six-yards out.


Stanton played in Patrick Hoban two minutes later, who cut inside from the left, but his weak effort was easily dealt with by Lee Steacy.

Town’s first meaningful effort came on 18 minutes. Darragh Nugent collected a loose ball 25-yards out, his effort narrowly missed the target.

Dundalk outplayed Longford for most of the first-half, but led 1-0 at the break. Dylan Grimes was fouled by Daniel Cleary.


Grimes free found Aaron O’Driscoll who’s header squirmed through the arms of Cameron Yates and into the net.

The visitors almost drew level four minutes after the restart. Will Patching’s corner found Cleary who’s far post header hit the crossbar and deflected over.

Town’s task of defending the lead became tougher on 58 minutes. Aaron Robinson receiving a straight red card for a foul on Will Patching.


Patching's free-kick and his delightful delivery found Andy Boyle who hit the woodwork from inside the box.

Town were reduced to nine men with five minutes remaining. Rob Manley received a straight red after he was adjudged to have fouled substitute Ryan O’Kane.

In the first minute of injury time the visitors were down to 10 min, Han Jeung Woo received his marching orders for an alleged foul on Joe Manley.


Dundalk struggled to create meaningful chances in the second-half but almost restored parity in the third minute of injury time, Sam Stanton heading over Will Patching’s cross.

A minute later Town almost doubled their lead. Callum Warfield solo run, before his 30-yard effort went narrowly wide. As Town held on for a one nil victory.

Longford Town: Lee Steacy, Shane Elworthy, Joe Manley, Aaron O’Driscoll, Dean Zambra (Aodh Dervin 63), Dean Byrne (Aaron McNally 57), Darragh Nugent, Aaron Robinson, Dylan Grimes (77 Aaron Dobbs),  Rob Manley, Dean Williams (77 Callum Warfield)


Dundalk: Cameron Yates, Raivis Jurkovskis, Andy Boyle, Sonni Nattestad (46 Mark Hanratty), Cameron Dummigan (Michael Duffy 63);Sam Stanton, Greg Sloggett (83 Jan Jeung Woo); Sami Ben-Amar (Ryan O Kane 69) Will Patching, Daniel Cleary; Patrick Hoban.

Referee: Derek Michael Tomney

Tags used in this article
Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2021 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus