Moore United slup up in Roscommon and District League quest

Dec 4, 2023 11:58 By Shannonside Sport
Moore United slup up in Roscommon and District League quest
Share this article

Castlerea Celtic and Shiven Rovers advance in women's cup

Moore United missed the chance of going top of the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League.

Moore were held to a 2-2 draw by St Johns Athletic at Moore. The hosts were in front on two occasions, but a good Lecarrow side battled on to take a point.

Graham Petit gave Moore the lead after 22 minutes but Cian Kelly levelled the game one minute into the second-half.


Jack Nevin restored the Moore advantage on 63 minutes. However, 11 minutes remaining, Patrick Tiernan levelled the game. Overall it was a good hard game played in very difficult conditions.

Shiven Rovers drew 2-2 at home to the Castleplunket side C.P Ajax in close hard fought game.

With 26 minutes played the visitors went in front through Daniel Connolly. Connolly, cut in from the left wing and slotted a beautiful effort into the corner of the net.


Shiven levelled the game on 40 minutes. Conor French scored with a good header from a corner-kick.

The Castleplunked side went into a 2-1 ahead in first-half injury time, thanks to a lovely lob by Brazilian Junior/Ellis.

A fine James Mulrooney strike, 15 minutes into the second-half drew Shiven Rovers level. While both teams had chances to score in the closing stages they were glad to get in out of the freezing cold.


Ballaghaderreen F.C went top of the Premier Division following a 6-0 win over Castlerea Celtic at Ballaghaderreen.

Sharoize Akram opened the scoring after 15 minutes. Tom Ward added two more on 17 and 40 minutes.

Peter Horan, Conor McGreal and Leon Sinnott added three more for Ballaghaderreen.


Boyle Celtic share Roscommon and District League lead

Boyle Celtic share the lead with Ballaghaderren both of whom are five points ahead of Ballinasloe Town and Moore United.

Ballinasloe Town were 1-0 up at home to Boyle Celtic after Kenneth Kenny scored in the fifth minute. However Michael Corrigan and Callum Andrews scored in the last five minutes as Boyle grabbed a draw.


In the first round of the Joes Bar sponsored Roscommon and District League Challenge Cup Skyvalley Rovers beat Kilkerrin United 4-2 at Kilkerrin.

John Miskell converted a penalty, giving Kilkerrin a 1-0 lead on 20 minutes. Padraig Corbett equalised seven minutes later.

Shane Downey, Michael Garvey and Jack Moore added three more for Skyvalley before Damien Mahon added a second for Kilkerrin United in the last minute of the game.

Ballinagare/Manor United had a comfortable 6-1 win over Roscommon United at Ballinagare.

Alan Keane opened the scoring with a header on 20 minutes. Seven minutes later, Jay McCartney headed John Stokes cross into the net.

Gavin Murray scored a low drive from the edge of the box in the 40 minute. Charlie stokes made it 4-0 on 65 minutes.

Connie Regan scored a fine goal for Roscommon United to make it 4-1 but Gerry Ward drove a free-kick from the edge of box into the bottom corner on 75 minutes. Tom Ward added a sixth in the final minute.

Dunmore Town had a convincing 4-0 win over Cam Celtic/Dysart at Cam. Daithi Reddington scored three for Dunmore in the first-half. Declan Forde added a fourth following good work by Tom Gleeson.

St. Johns Athletic second side gave the fancied Ballymoe F.C a real fright before Ballymoe came out on top on a 5-4 score-line.

St. Johns and Glen advance

St. Johns scored their fourth in the first-half thanks to three from Ryan Dowling and one from Albert Looby. Dan Malone was man-of-the-match as he scored two and won a penalty, which was converted by Jason Tarmey.

Dan Malone, Jack Donnellan and Jason Tarmey scored for Ballymoe in the first-half. Malone equalised with five minutes remaining of normal time. Malone won the penalty kick near the end of the second period of extra-time.

Glen Celtic beat Ballaghaderreen second side 4-0 at Glenamaddy. Darragh Keaveney opened the scoring for Celtic after 10 minutes of the second-half. Gavin Hegarty hit a hat-trick with two one-on-one finishes.

The third was a great strike from the edge of the box. Glen advance to the next round.

Cloonfad United are also through to round two following a 3-0 win over St Cuans/Ahascragh United at Ahascragh. Conor Ruane converted a penalty after 16 minutes and Daithi Gannon added a second ten minutes later. Sean Burke sealed the win with nine minutes remaining.

Just two games were played in the first round of the Womens Cup. Shiven Rovers edged out St Cuans/Ahascragh United by a single goal scored by Sheenagh Martyn 16 minutes into the second-half.

Castlerea Celtic had a 4-1 win over Ballinasloe Town at Castlerea. The game was much closer than the score-line suggests but an improving Castlerea side deserved their win.

Clodagh Diggins and an own goal gave the winners a 2-1 half-time lead with Chloe Donnellan and Rachel Gormley adding two more after the break.

Tags used in this article
Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2024 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus