Longford Town suffer defeat in Groves' first game as permanent boss

May 31, 2024 21:43 By Michael Cooke
Longford Town suffer defeat in Groves' first game as permanent boss
Longford Town Match Report
Share this article

Town’s three-match unbeaten streak came to an end.

Wayne Groves’ tenure as permanent manager is off to a losing start as Longford Town suffered a 1-0 defeat to Treaty United at the Markets Field.

Mark Byrne’s strike eight minutes from time was the difference as Town’s three-match unbeaten streak came to an end.

The sides cancelled each other out for much of the contest before effective opportunism from Byrne gave the hosts all three points.


Town’s Francis Campbell had the game’s first meaningful chance on 13 minutes. However, his tame 20-yard effort was easily saved by Corey Chambers.

Treaty came close on 23 minutes. Willie Armshaw’s free kick was headed out of play for a corner which the hosts couldn’t exploit.

Town had another chance ten minutes later. Jordan Adayemo collected Campell’s through ball before firing a low shot wide inside the box.


Longford Town creating chances

The hosts threatened on 37 minutes. Lee Devitt played in Mark Byrne, the Treaty striker wrongfooted Jordan Tallon before shooting over the crossbar from 20-yards.

Mark Byrne connected with Lee Devitt’s free-kick on the stroke of half-time, but shot straight at Jack Brady.


Town spurned another chance five minutes into the second-half. Karl Chambers 30-yard shot caused Corey Chambers no issues.

Treaty came close on 63 minutes. Firstly, Enda Curran connected with Colin Conroy’s right-wing cross but couldn’t direct his effort on target.

Evan O’Connor collected the loose ball but saw his header repelled by Town goalkeeper Jack Brady.


Town had another chance 60 seconds later. Campbell connected with Mohamed Boudiaf’s right-wing cross but his subsequent effort sailed over the crossbar.

Chambers repelled Conor Crowley’s 73rd minute 20-yards free-kick.

Chambers was called into action again, Four minutes later. The Treaty shotstopper dived low to deflect Boudiaf’s 25-yard effort out for a corner.


Mark Byrne gave the hosts the lead eight minutes from time with his third goal of the season.

Jack Brady parried Robbie Lynch’s corner kick into the path of Lee Devitt, the midfielder’s shot was guided into the net by Byrne. The result means Longford Town remain bottom of the SSE Airtricity first division.

Treaty United: Corey Chambers, Robbie Lynch (Enda Curran 62), Evan O’Connor, Fionn Doherty (Scott Kirkland 55),  Willie Armshaw (Adam O’Halloran 69) Colin Conroy, Lee Devitt, Alec Byrne (Leon Kirrane 62), Stephen Christopher, Mark Byrne.

Longford Town: Jack Brady, Shane Elworthy, Jordan Tallon, Dean O’Shea, Kyle O’Connor, Karl Chambers (Guilherme Rego Priosti 84), Conor Crowley, Luke Wade Slater, (Emmanuel James 29) Mohamed Boudiaf, Francis Campbell, Jordan Adeyemo.

Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2024 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus