Longford Town end losing run

Apr 20, 2021 21:04 By Dave Hooper
Longford Town end losing run Longford Town end losing run
Longford Town Match Report
Share this article

Longford Town share spoils with Finn Harps

Longford Town and Finn Harps played out a scoreless draw at Bishopsgate to earn a point each as Town ended a three game losing streak.

Longford almost opened the scoring in the tenth minute with a good move down the left, as Sam Verdon and Calum Robinson exchanged passes creating space inside the box for Verdon.

But Verdon’s low diagonal shot went just wide of the Harps' far post.


The visitors had two excellent chances in the space of two minutes.

On 27 minutes the McNamee brothers, Barry and Tony, combined down the right with Tony's cross finding striker Sean Boyd, but he headed narrowly over the Longford bar.

Two minutes later, Harps almost took the lead after a great pass from Barry McNamee put in Boyd, he turned Town defenders Aaron O’Driscoll and Joe Gorman brilliantly, only for his shot to be superbly saved by Town keeper Mick Kelly.


The rebound came out to Tony McNamee, but he ballooned his 16-yard shot over the Town bar.

Three minutes after the resumption a shot from Ethan Boyle on the right side of the box was well saved by Town keeper Kelly.

44 minutes elapsed without a clear opportunity for either team, and then each side had a chance within two minutes of each other.


Town had the first of those chance eight minutes from time as Aaron Dobbs ran onto a long ball and lifted the ball over the advancing Harps' Keeper McGinley but steered the ball wide.

Two minutes later, it was the visitors who came close to breaking the deadlock as a Ryan Shanley 25-yard shot deflected off a Longford player and just cleared the Town bar.

Longford Town: Kelly, J Manley, O’Driscoll, Gorman, Kirk, Chambers, Dervin, Robinson, Grimes, Verdon, R Manley.


Substitutions: Dobbs for R Manley (71 minutes), Davies for Grimes (79 minutes).

Finn Harps: McGinley, Webster, Sadiki, McEleney, Boyle, Seymore, Coyle, Foley, B McNamee, T McNamee, Boyd.

Substitutions: Folan for McEleney (18 minutes), Shanley for Boyd and Russell for T McNamee (both 73 minutes), Doherty for Boyle (89 minutes).


Referee: Derek Tomney

Tags used in this article
Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2021 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus