Ballinasloe Town progress in round three of Connacht Sheild

Mar 4, 2024 12:04 By Dave Hooper
Ballinasloe Town progress in round three of Connacht Sheild
Share this article

Roscommon and district league round-up

Roscommon and District League Premier Division side Ballinasloe Town are through to round three of the Connacht Shield.

Balllinasloe landed a comfortable 5–0 win over Galway league division one side Cregmore/Claregalway at Ballinasloe on Sunday. Azeez Ayinde scored a hat-trick and Ryan Burke added two and Josh McCarthy one for Ballinasloe.

In the only Premier Division game played, Moore United and C.P Ajax drew 2–2 at Lecarrow. Both teams are out of contention for the league title, but are looking to move away from the relegation area.


Moore started brightly pinning CP inside their half. Moore should have taken the lead when Jack Nevin was put through one-on-one only for the keeper to deny Nevin.

With this let off CP created a chance of their own on 10 minutes. A nothing ball made its way to winger Dan Connolly and he squeezed the ball inside the far post.

Moore responded well and were level with 30 minutes played. A great free-kick from Josh Lennon gave the CP keeper no chance to give Moore a deserved equaliser.


Moore started the brighter in the second-half, taking the lead on 55 minutes via a Jack Nevin volley following great work from Liam Ryan and Josh Lennon.

Moore were comfortably controlling the game only to concede a needless corner with seventy played. The corner wasn't dealt with by the Moore defence and Sam French levelled the game.

Four games in Round 2 of the Joes Bar sponsored Challenge Cup were played over the weekend.


Skyvalley Rovers Advance

Skyvalley Rovers advanced to round three of the Cup but required a penalty shoot-out to advance.

Padraig Corbett gave the Taughmaconnell side a 1-0 lead on 11 minutes. Thomas Gleeson levelled the game seven minutes before half-time.


Tom Carey restored the Skyvalley Rovers lead on 24 minutes. However, Thomas Gleeson had the side’s level within three minutes.

With no scores in the remainder of normal-time or extra-time the game went to a penalty shoot-out which was won 4–2 by Skyvalley.

Jamie Donoghue save and well taken penalties from Darragh Moore, Jamie Donoghue, Cormac Moore and Keelan Galvin.


Cloonfad United beat Division 2 side Rahara Rovers 7–0 at Cloonfad. Daithi Gannon scored four, Darragh Flynn two and Conor Flynn one for an inform Cloonfad United side.

Moylough 79 were surprised 3–1 winners over Ballinagare/Manor Utd at Ballinagare. Sean Kelly scored two and Michael Foley one for Moylough with Gavin Murray scoring for the losers.

Ballymoe F.C are also through to round three following a hard earned 3–1 win over Glen Celtic at Glenamaddy.

The sides were level at half-time. However, with five minutes played in the second-half Damien Goggins broke the deadlock for Ballymoe.

Goggins added a second on 66 minutes played. Indeed, within two minutes Glen Celtic were back in the game thanks to Dylan Joyce. Both teams came close to scoring before Richard Thompson sealed a win for Ballymoe with five minutes remaining.

Women's football round-up

In the first round of the Women’s Challenge Cup, Boyle Celtic advanced to the next round following a hard-earned penalty shoot-out win over Kilkerrin United at Boyle.

Overall this was a really great game with little between the sides. The shootout finished 4–3 in favour of the hosts with Leah McCawley, Ciara Byrne, Niamh Mc Namara and Emer Callaghan scoring from the penalty spot for Boyle.

Cam Celtic into round two

Cam Celtic beat Ballaghaderreen 2–1 at Brideswell to advance to round two.

This was a very close affair played in ideal conditions in Brideswell with the home team coming out on top. Ballaghaderreen were first to score with just ten minutes played. Cam came back into the game and levelled mid-way through the half.

However, Marion Nolan got on the end of an Aoife Coyle cross to give the Ballaghaderreen keeper no chance.

The next 60 minutes was end-to-end stuff with both defences on top. Just when it looked like extra-time was on the cards, a mix-up in the visitors defence allowed the inrushing Rebecca Collins head the winner with three minutes remaining.

Tags used in this article
Share this article

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2024 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus