The daughter of an elderly couple whose home near the Westmeath border was destroyed by fire in the past week is praising the spirit of the local community.
The home of Pat and Attractra Murray at Corrydonlon, Rathowen was engulfed in flames in the early hours of the 29th of December and while no one was injured, they lost a lifetime of possessions and mementos.
The couple are now staying with one of their sons who lives nearby, and their daughter Ann says they hope to be able to repair and rebuild their home as soon as possible.
The Rathowen Community Development Association has set up a go fund me page and over €26,000 has been raised in the last week.
Anne Murray says her parents were lucky to escape the blaze without injury, and they're also fortunate to have a close-knit and caring community..