An Athlone councillor is condemning the lighting of fires in a local estate this week.
Fianna Fail's Aenghus O' Rourke says fires were lit in the Battery Heights estate on Tuesday and Wednesday nights of this week where children appeared to have gathered materials in advance.
He says the fires were close to some houses and the emergency services were called to the scene.
The local councillor says a lot of work has been done in the area in the last few years, and a TUS scheme has been underway for the last few months to maintain the area.
He says the fact that some householders are reported to have added household rubbish to the blaze makes it all the more disheartening.