News

Archaeologist hoping for more historic discoveries in Athlone

May 16, 2021 08:05 By Shannonside News
Archaeologist hoping for more historic discoveries in Athlone Archaeologist hoping for more historic discoveries in Athlone
Share this article

He thought they might come across some evidence from the 17th century siege of Athlone.

An archaeologist working with the OPW on flood defence measures in Athlone has admitted to being slightly disappointed to have found no evidence of the famous siege of the town during their project.

Graham Hull, who watches out for any potential finds during excavation works says he had thought they might come across some remnants from the 17th century when they were working near the town bridge recently.

An old slipway dating back almost 200 years at The Strand in Athlone was uncovered by the machinery earlier this month and that will be filled in again in the coming weeks.

Advertisement

Speaking to Shannonside News this week Graham Hull said he thinks it's likely that any 17th century evidence of the Siege that might once have been there has already been destroyed…

Share this article
Advertisement
Advertisement

Shannonside Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copyright © 2021 Shannonside FM. Developed by Square1 and Powered by PublisherPlus