Late Cavan Comeback Shocks Westmeath

Cavan staged a remarkable comeback to beat Westmeath by four points with three scores arriving in injury time.

Chris Conroy’s deflected goal two minutes into injury time moved Cavan ahead for the first time in the game since the second minute as Cavan won out 1-17 to 1-13 in Kingspan Breffni.

Ciaran Brady opened the scoring with a second minute point for Cavan but this was clawed back with Ray Connellan and Ronan O’Toole grabbing points for Westmeath by six minutes.

Stephen Smith was shown a black card for Cavan two minutes later with Jack Smith and a John Heslin free moving Westmeath into a four to one lead.

Westmeath’s Anthony McGiveny was shown a black card on 13 minutes but that didn’t slow down Westmeath with a John Heslin free and a Callum McCormack point moving them five clear by 18 minutes.

Oisin Pierson grabbed Cavan’s second point on 22 minutes with Killian Brady bringing the deficit to a goal four minutes later.

The next two scores before the break came from Westmeath with Heslin restoring normal service on the half-hour and Lorcan Dolan making it eight points to three two minutes into first-half injury time.

Both teams were down to 14 men at this stage. Westmeath Denis Corroon receiving a black card just before the break, but Cavan’s Paddy Meade seeing red card for swinging his arm in a tackle.

Cavan were a different team in the second half as Mickey Graham rang the changes introducing Stephen Murray and Thomas Galligan for Stephen Smith and Benjamin Kelly.

James Smith, Stephen Murray, Thomas Galligan a Raymond Galligan 45 and a Paduric Faulkner point had Cavan level but it didn’t last long.

Westmeath sub Luke Loughling making an immediate impact as his deflected shot deceived Raymond Galligan into the net giving Westmeath a 1-8 to eight points lead on 44 minutes.

Loughlin sent over two points in the next five minutes and together with a Ray Connellan point saw Westmeath move six clear with 20 minutes remaining 1-11 to eight points.

Cavan weren’t done however Oisin McKiernan, Thomas Galligan and Gearoid McKiernan made it a three point game.

A John Heslin free was cancelled out by points from Evan Doughty and Oisin Pearson making it a one point game with 10 minutes remaining.

Luke Loughlin put two between before Cavan’s Ryan Connolly made it a one point game on 70 minutes.

Injury time was the most dramatic as John Heslin received his marching orders just 40 seconds into overtime with Ray Galligan equalising with the resulting free.

Cavan led for just the second time in the game a minute later as Chris Conroy’s fisted attempted deflected off goalkeeper Eoin Carberry to move Cavan into a 1-16 to 1-13 lead.

Kieran Brady’s points six minutes into additional sealed a famous victory for Mickey Graham’s team 1-17 (20) to 1-13 (16).