Buccanners Seal Maiden AIL 1A Win


UCD 13

Buccaneers finally found the winning formula as they forged their first victory in this seasons Ulster Bank League Saturday.


With the strong sunshine at their backs, the Athlone side scored an equally bright try after a strong carry by Alan Gaughan before the centre popped the ball to Rory O’Connor.

The home winger still had much to do but outflanked the College cover for his seventh try of the campaign in the seventh minute.

Luke Carty was unable to add the conversion, the young out-half quickly found his range four minutes later after UCD conceded a penalty at scrum time.

Harry Byrne responded with an 18th minute penalty for the students.

Although the home pack was a player short, Buccs shunted UCD backwards at a scrum to earn a penalty that was swiftly taken, Niall Farrelly held up just short of the line.

McKeon neatly scooped the ball to Shane Layden, the Buccaneers skipper powered over for an unconverted 22nd minute try.

Harry Byrne stroking over a 33rd minute penalty for UCD’s second score of the game, leaving the half-time score with Buccaneers 13-6 to the good.

Buccaneers continued to press after the break and Carty thumped over a splendid penalty into the freshening breeze for a 16-6 advantage after 51 minutes.

As rain briefly drizzled, Meagher made a rousing surge and the Pirates earned another long-range penalty five minutes later from which Carty was narrowly off-target.

UCD cut the arrears to just three points on 64 minutes when referee Eddie Hogan-O’Connell ruled that Will Connors had grounded the ball against a goalpost pad.

Byrne, younger brother of rising Leinster star Ross, had no difficulty with the easy conversion, as both sides unloaded their benches.

Within a minute Buccs had doubled their advantage after a teasing up and under by Carty tempted the Students offside and the home out-half was coolness personified when drilling over the resultant penalty from 25 metres.

In the dying moments College threw everything they had at the hosts but relentless and disciplined tackling by Buccaneers and an all mighty clearance by Graham Lynch ensured that they were not going to let this game slip.

Buccaners sealing their first victory of the season with six points to spare over the Dublin students.

BUCCANEERS: C.Boland, D.Corbett (C.Reid 65), A.Gaughan, S.Layden (captain), R.O’Connor, L.Carty, C.McKeon (G.Lynch 67), M.Staunton, J.Sutton, N.Farrelly (C.O’Donnell 34), P.Claffey, C.Romaine (E.Galvin 65), S.Meagher, E.Galvin (D.Law 34), P.Boyle

UCD: C.Frawley, R.Keenan, J.Glynn (captain), G.Mullin, T.O’Brien; H.Byrne, N.Peters (M.Gilsenan 60), J.Loughman (L.Hyland 67), S.McNulty (G.Frayne 60), L.Hyland (R.Mulvihill 54), B.Cawley, E.McMahon (S.McVeigh 54), R.Foley, W.Connors, P.Timmons

 Referee: Eddie Hogan-O’Connell (IRFU)