Roscommon Share The Spoils With Tyrone

Roscommon were denied a chance for victory as they drew 1-10 each with Tyrone in Dr. Hyde Park.

Anthony Cunningham’s men looked set for a second successive victory when Ultan Harney netted eight minutes after the restart to hand them a seven-point advantage.

However Tyrone responded with an unanswered 1-4 as Cathal McShane’s goal and goalkeeper Niall Morgan supplying three points, for Tyrone their first point of the campaign.


The hosts again looked set for success when they were awarded a free in front of the posts five minutes into injury time but the referee stripped them of the opportunity due to retaliation.

The Rossies were rampant in the opening half with a run of seven unanswered points between the 20th and 33rd minutes had the rampant Rossies ahead by ten points to four at half-time.

Conor Cox’s point sent Roscommon ahead by the at the end of the first quarter, defenders Peter Harte and Conor Daly having traded the first two scores before Harte’s second converted free cancelled out Cox’s first point of the day.

Full-back Ronan McNamee fisted the Red Hands’ third point but Shane Kiloran restored Roscommon’s lead after Donie Smith’s goal effort rebounded back unluckily off the post.

Cox and Kiloran pointed to make it double scores with ten minutes left before the break, 0-6 to 0-3.

Harney, Smith, Niall Kilroy and Ronan Daly stretched their hosts lead to seven, a third Harte free flying between the posts before the break.

A brace of Harte frees brought Tyrone back within four but they were knocked back when Harney got on the end of a Cox delivery and redirected the ball to their net with his fist.

The Rossies’ only second-half score arriving in the 43rd minute to make it 1-10 to 0-6.

Morgan replied from a free and the match exploded to life 20 minutes from the end when McShane fisted to the net to reduce the arrears to just three points.

Darren McCurry made it a two-point game with 14 minutes remaining Morgan boomed over a long-range free with five minutes left.

Incredibly, two minutes later, Morgan equalised as he thumped over a point from play for the second weekend running!

Reduced to 14 men for the closing stages after Mattie Donnelly was black-carded, the Red Hands poured forward looking for a late winner but Roscommon caught them on the counter and were awarded a free in front of the posts, only for the decision to be overturned and the ball to be thrown up instead.

Roscommon: D O’Malley, D Murray, C Daly, E McGrath, C Devaney, C Hussey (H Darcy 62), R Daly, T O’Rourke, E Smith, S Kiloran, U Harney, N Kilroy (G Patterson 55), C Cox (A Lyons 68), D Smith, C Cregg (C Compton 53),

Scorers: U Harney (1-1), C Cox (0-3), S Kiloran (0-2), C Daly, R Daly,  N Kilroy, D Smith all 0-1

Tyrone: N Morgan, R Brennan (F Burns 58), R McNamee (HP McGeary 30), C McLaughlin (C Meyler 28), T McCann, B McDonnell (H Loughran 50), M McKernan, B Kennedy, P Hampsey, M Donnelly, N Sludden (K Coney 39), P Harte, D McCurry, C McShane, K McGeary

Scorers: C McShane (1-0), N Morgan (0-3, 2f), P Harte (0-5, 5f), R McNamee (0-1), D McCurry (0-1)

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan)