Roscommon and District League Round Up

Castlerea Celtic and St Peters remain unbeaten in the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League following impressive wins over the weekend. Castlerea Celtic beat a struggling Ballaghaderreen side 7 – 0 at Castlerea.

Report by Vincent Brooks

The winners played some very good football in the first half and were 4 – 0 up at the half time break. Jack Higgins opened the scoring after four minutes of play and Ronan Curran Peter Farrell and Dominic Bligh added three more. In the second half Peter Farrell and Conor Murray scored before a stunning strike from Jarlath Geraghty completed the scoring.


St Peters beat St Johns Athletic 5 – 0 at Lecarrow. The home side badly missed their leading goal scorer Tommy Hurley and were 3 – 0 down at half time. Mark Mc Connell scored their first and Garry Stephens added two more before Mark Sherlock and Alan Coffey added two after the break.

Boyle Celtic made it three wins out of four when the beat a young Ballymoe F C side 4 – 2 at Ballymoe. In a twelve minute period between the twenty-eight and fortieth minute Michael Corrigan scored three and Dylan Edwards scored one for the winners. Damien Coggins and Kevin Morgan pulled two back for Ballymoe in the second half.

Cloonfad United beat Shiven Rovers 6 – 2 in their Premier Division game at Cloonfad. Shaun Kearney scored their first and Stephen Cunningham added two more before the break. Shane O Malley made it four nil before Joe Hunt and Pierce Mc Donagh pulled two back for the Newbridge side. Stephen Cunningham and Conor Flynn added two more to seal all three points for Cloonfad United.

Moore United advanced to the second round of the Umbro FAI Junior Cup when they beat Division 1 side Kilkerrin United 5 – 4 in a penalty shootout after the game finished level at 2- 2 at the end of extra time. Tom Naughton gave Moore United a 1- 0 lead before Damien Mahon finished off a Jason Ward shot. A good cross from Jason Lee created an opening for Aidan Kitt who gave Kilkerrin United a 2 – 1 lead with twenty minutes left to play. With three minutes left to play in normal time Paul Kelly converted a penalty kick to send the game to extra time and penalties. Moore won 5 – 4 in the penalty shootout.

Division 2 side Rahara Rovers had an impressive 4 – 1 win over the Sligo League Premier side MCR FC at Rahara. The sides were level at 1- 1 at half time before Rahara turned on the style in the second half. Vando scored three and Marcos one for Rahara with Joseph Cobbe replying for the losers.

Skyvalley Rovers were beaten 7 – 2 at home by the Sligo side Arrow Harps.  The home side conceded three first half goals through Anthony Elding Karl and Brian Mc Kenna before David Grehan pulled a goal back for the home side following an Emit kelly cross. Grehan added a second in the second half from a Chris Lynch cross but the home side conceded easy goals after that and Arrow Harps ran out comfortable winners.

In the Norio’s Division 1 Hodson Bay Athletic beat Ahascragh United 2 – 1 at Lecarrow. Cormack Sheehy scored from close range after twenty two minutes and the same player headed a second in injury time at the end of the first half. Paul Staunton won a penalty kick for Ahascragh united with two minutes of normal time remaining and Lee Johnston converted.

Strokestown United beat the Castleplunket side C P Ajax 4 – 3 at Tarmon. Derek Connellan scored three for the winners in the first half and Darren Clabby stretched their lead in the second half before the losers scored three through Gerry Leech and two from Damien Conboy.

Ballinasloe Town beat Lough Harps 2 – 0 at Ballinlough. Darren Kelly and David Mc Donnell scored their goals.

Boyle Celtic lead Division 2 after making it four wins out of four  when they beat nearest challengers Cam Celtic 3 – 0 at Boyle. Conor Deery broke the deadlock early in the second half when he converted a penalty kick and the same player and James Bolger scored two more before the end.

Castlerea Celtic are in fourth place following a 2 – 1 win over Cloonfad United at Castlerea. Joey Flanagan gave them the lead with fifty three played and while Sean Ruane levelled the game with seventy three played Patrick Egan scored the winners three minutes later.

Glen Celtic and Moylough drew 2 – 2 at Glenamaddy. Marcus Finn converted a penalty kick after sixteen minutes to give Moylough a 1 – 0 lead. Simon Siwarski and Mc Darragh Geraghty turned the game in Glen Celtics favour before the talented Marcus Finn levelled the game with a well taken free kick with eighteen minutes left to play.

Shiven Rovers came out on top in an evenly contested game at Newbridge. Andrew Naughton and David Kelly game them a 2 – 0 win.