Moran’s late late show sinks Roscommon

Roscommon progressed to next Sunday’s Connacht FBD League final despite losing to Mayo by a point in Kiltoom . Roscommon were ahead by eight points in the 66th minute against last year’s beaten All Ireland finalists ,however Ballaghaderreens Andy Moran came off the bench to score two goals, including a last gasp winner to seal a dramatic 4-11 to 2-16 victory for the Green and Red.  Mayo needed a thirteen point victory to pip Roscommon to secure a final place so it will be Roscommon against Galway in the final for a third successive year on Sunday next in Kiltoom. 

 A Cillian O’Connor penalty reduced the deficit to 5 points with four minutes remaining. Andy Moran was only introduced in the 67th minute and in the 69th minute he scored the third goal for the former provincial champions with his first touch and then in the fifth minute of injury time he goal to grab victory from the jaws of defeat.

Mayo led by one point at half time by 1-09 to 1-08 Roscommon had led by four points on three occasions but they couldn’t shake off the challenge of their Connacht rivals. Enda Smith hitting the net in the fifth minute and Liam Irwin getting a goal for the visitors in the 13th minute. Six minutes into the second half Enda Smith got his second goal to leave it Roscommon 2-08 Mayo 1-10. Here’s the goal as described by Willie Hegarty live on Sunday Sport


Cillian O’Connor responded with a free before the Primrose and Blue struck seven unanswered points through three from Donie Smith, and two from Enda Smith and a point apiece for Tadhg O’Rourke and Niall Kilroy. The Smith brothers ended the match with 2-07 between them.

Mayo went down to 14 men when Conor OShea was red carded but that didn’t stop them from getting a victory that seemed unlikely at stages in the second half. Here’s Andy Morans goal described by Willie Hegarty live on Sunday Sport

Kevin McStay spoke with Shannonsides Willie Hegarty after the game and says he was disappointed to give away the goals but ‘ it’s not the end of the world they’ve bigger things ahead of us. I thought for the time of year that was in it. it was a very lively game’. On his team selection for the final  the Mayo native reflected ‘Next week we’ll put out a strong team but we’ll also have to keep an eye on Sigerson cup midweek’. McStay in his second year involved with the panel feels that there is great competition for places the management would’ve given new player on the scene Tadhg O’Rourke the man of the match accolade.

Next Sunday’s final against Galway will take place in Kiltoom.

ROSCOMMON: C Lavin; D Murray, T Featherston, N McInerney; R Stack, U Harney, J McManus; T O’Rourke (0-1), K Higgins (0-2); F Cregg, C Murtagh (0-2, 0-2f), E Smith (2-2, 0-1f); C Connolly (0-3), T Corcoran, D Smith (0-5, 0-2f). Subs used: G Patterson for Harney (43), N Kilroy (0-1) for C Murtagh (43), S Killoran for Cregg (49), H Walsh for Connolly (55), B Murtagh for Stack (60), C Shine for D Smith (67).