Dublin Crush Roscommon To Seal Semi-Final Spot

Dublin showed all the qualities of their five in-a-row bid as they routed Roscommon 2-26 to 14 points in Croke Park.

The results means Roscommon bow out of the championship with a dead rubber against Cork still to come as Dublin and Tyrone booked their place in the All-Ireland semi-finals.

The Dubs lead 1-15 to seven points at half-time as Roscommon led


The phenomenal Dubs, who emptied the bench and completely eased up in the second half after surging 17 points ahead, were devastating in the first half.

Colin Compton stormed through the Dublin defence inside 30 seconds to open the scoring with a point before Dean Rock’s retaken free equalised in the second minute.

Rock’s second free cancelled out an excellent Diarmuid Murtagh strike from distance off his left and his third gave the hosts the lead for the first time with five minutes played, only for Conor Cox to reply.

By the 11th minute Dublin were showing their power, Con O’Callaghan the fulcrum point as he sent over the lead point, Rock fisting his fourth from a goal chance after Paul Mannion’s precise pass.

Dublin had their first goal on 14 minute, Rock palmed the ball to the Hill 16 net at the end of a flowing move, a Ciaran Kilkenny brace making it 1-7 to 0-3 after 19 minutes.

O’Callaghan struck the woodwork going for goal and Stephen Cluxton denied Murtagh before Cox lofted over the Rossies’ fifth point.

O’Callaghan blazed over in response and Mannion replied to another Cox point, leaving the winners ahead by seven points with ten minutes left in the first half, Rock’s brace of 20-metre frees increasing the gap even further.

Mannion points after Darren O’Malley denied the rampant hosts a second major and then nonchalantly clipped his third over the black mark from 40 metres.

Cox slightly relieving the pressure with a tap-over free. The visitors were reduced to 14 men two minutes from the break when Conor Daly got a black card (and therefore a red) to go with his earlier yellow, tripping O’Callaghan, Rock converting the accruing free.

The gap was out to 16 points within two minutes of the restart as Michael Darragh MacAuley planted a bullet in the roof of the Roscommon net either side of points from Jack McCaffrey and the unerring Rock (free).

Rock and Cox traded frees, Niall Daly and Conor Hussey making it three straight points for the 14 men.

Substitute Paddy Small took a great left-footed score over his shoulder and the reply was an excellent one as Sean Mullolly got forward and became the fourth Rossies defender to score, Cox pulling back two more as the Dubs emptied their bench and took their foot momentarily off the pedal.

MacAuley was black-carded for an innocuous intervention on the hour as the game petered out, but the holders landed five in succession, Rock getting them going again with a perfectly-measured free, Kevin McManamon and Niall Scully foraging a point apiece as the gap suddenly swelled back out to 15.

Rock’s next free went over three minutes from the end and Paddy Small nailed his second super score from play, Fenton replying in injury time to Hussey’s third and the confident Small in turn helping himself to a third as the Dubs ran out the easier of victors.