Longford Town held by Shelbourne

Longford Town 1

Shelbourne 1

Report Compiled by Tony Ghee


Dylan McGlade’s 61st minute strike ensured a share of the spoils between Longford Town and Shelbourne, the Town’s second home draw of the season.

Adam Evan’s 20-yard shot was palmed away by Town keeper Michael Kelly 11 minutes, Kelly was called into action a minute later, saving a downward header from James English after a James Brown cross.

Two minutes later, Mark Hughes crisp low drive from the edge of the Town box produced another fine save from Kelly.

The visitors created another chance on 18 minutes, a sublime diagonal long pass from Lorcan Kavanagh picked out the unmarked English on the right edge of the box.

English however shot narrowly over the Longford bar. Two minutes later, Hughes pin-point right-wing cross picked out Evans only for his volley to crash into the Town side-netting.

Shels came closest to opening the scoring on 23 minutes, Fitzgerald’s in swinging right-wing corner was missed by Town keeper Kelly.

The Town stopper redeemed himself by superbly tipping over Dave Mulcahy’s goal-bound effort that seemed destined for the top corner.

The Town came to life in the final quarter of the first half, Tristan Noack-Hofmann looping header took a deflection off Shelbourne defender Derek Prendergast and landed on top of the visitors net.

On the 35 minute mark, Shane Elworthy’s right wing cross was headed over by Sam Verdon, but the best Town chance came two minutes later.

A brilliant curling right-wing cross from McGlade found Verdon whose effort was blocked, the ball was then threaded into the path of Hollywood by McDonnell.

Shelbourne keeper Lee Stacey brilliantly pushed Hollywood’s strike around the post.

The Town almost broke the deadlock two minutes after the resumption when Daniel O’Reilly’s shot from a McGlade free-kick was blocked on the line by a Shelbourne defender.

The Dubliners opened the scoring on fifty minutes when Longford Town’s all-time record goal-scorer David O’Sullivan struck once again, losing his marker and timing his run to perfection to head home Fitzgerald’s corner.

Longford struck back with a 61st minute equaliser when a stray pass from English was intercepted by Dylan McGlade, who charged forward before drilling a low shot from just inside the box past Stacey.

The Town missed a glorious chance to take the lead on 76 minutes when McGlade’s trickery on the left bamboozled two Shels defenders, his cross picked out an unmarked Verdon at the back post, but somehow, Verdon headed wide when it seemed easier to score.

A minute late Town defender Noack-Hofmann chipped cross almost ended up in the net, the back-peddling Stacey managed to tip the ball over the bar.

The home side had a very lucky escape on 86 minutes when substitute Rooney crashed a shot off the underside of the Longford crossbar with the ball bouncing narrowly over inrushing striker O’Sullivan.

Dylan McGlade almost won it for Longford in the last minute of normal time, however Stacey produced a sharp save to keep his goal intact.

Longford Town: Kelly, Elworthy, McDonnell, O’Reilly, Noack-Hofmann, Hopkins(Galvin 62), Hollywood(Meenan 62), Dervin, McGlade, Verdon, Mulhall(Byrne 90).

Shelbourne: Stacey, Brown, Mulcahy, Prendergast, Fitzgerald, English, Byrne, Hughes(Boyne 85), Evans, Kavanagh(Rooney 67), O’Sullivan.