Longford Town 1 Wexford 0

Jamie Doyle’s last gasp injury time goal grabbed Longford Town a 1-0 victory over Wexford FC in City Calling Stadium writes Kieran Burke.

The win keeps Town in second place, one point behind Shelbourne as a real promotion race has developed between the two and Drogheda United, both had scored victories earlier in the day.

The first half of this crucial game in the First Division was as changeable as the evenings weather, with both sides having spells resulting in chances but in truth it was a bit of a damp squid.


Town boss, Neale Fenn opted for the same side that defeated Galway United at City Calling Stadium on Monday, while Wexford FC were without star striker Danny Furlong.

Had Wexford’s top scorer been present, Longford may well have been in trouble at the break, as Brian O’Sullivan’s side registered several shots on the Longford goal without success.

Bar a couple of early efforts from an ever lively Dean Byrne and a headed effort from Conor Kenna, Town struggled to create the chances that should come with such dominant possession stats.

However, in the second half saw Longford turn possession into chances and they’re were several near misses with no less than three goal line clearances.

Jamie Doyle was introduced for an out of form Aaron Dobbs, it was the former Shelbourne striker that grabbed the winner at the death.

Restless pressure on the edge of the Wexford box concluded with Dean Zambra threading a through ball for Doyle, who took a touch before lifting it over the Wexford keeper to spark wild scenes.

Town travel to Bray next week in the final game before the break, breathing down Shelbourne’s necks, just one point separates Town and the reds as we near the summer break.

Longford Town: Steacy, Elworthy, Kenna, McDonnell, Breslin, Dervin (Brennan 56), Zambra, Verdon, Byrne, Hollywood (Hopkins 56), Dobbs (Doyle 81)

Wexford FC: Chambers, Costello, Kenny, Arevadze (Peare 56), Doherty, Nugent (Roche 90+2), Doyle, Nolan, Croke (Sutton 64), Callan, O’Connor