Longford move to second in Leinster League 1B

Longford 36

Coolmines 10

Longford are now just six points behind leaders Suttonians after dispatching of Coolmines at CPL Park on Sunday.


The bonus point win pushed the midlanders into second place in the Leinster League Division 1B, jumping over Tullow and Kilkenny.

Right from the kick off the pressure from the chase saw the visitors spilled the ball into touch. With the lineout secured and the maul established Dylan Quinn went over to ground with only a minute gone.

Joe McGowan’s view of the posts was at an obscure angle, but the fullback converted with ease to leave it seven-nil lead.

A high tackle on Kieran O’Gorman gave the men in black their next score. As the rain started to come down McGowan pitched up with a well struck penalty to bring the tally to 10-nil with 28 minutes gone.

Five minutes later the fullback had another opportunity to push his side further ahead when Coolmines where punished for not releasing.

McGowan happily converted the penalty making it 13-nil.

As the ice cold rain came down Longford somehow retained there sharpness, but Coolmines struggled to find any footing in the contest.

The next infringement by the visitors was when an over enthusiastic forward came in on Neal Farrell before the ball was out of the ruck. McGowan added the three pointer making it to 16-nil.

Longford were in full flight and the defensive effort of O’Gorman as he made tackle after tackle was a joy to watch.

The five pointer came when Colm Glynn executed a neat show and go, then dashed through the gap. Once behind the visitor’s line the damage was done and Shane Rodgers completed the move and set the scoreboard at 21-nil.

Coolmines kicker Eoin Hand had his first shot at the posts in first half injury time. Hand clawed his side back three to leave it 21-03 the break.

The second half started much the same as the exchanges of the first. Longford benefited from a series of offside infringements and on the 59 minutes McGowan kicked his team further in front 24-3.

The next piece of Longford magic was ignited by a wonderful break by Quinn. The prop slinked up the pitch with Neal Farrell crossed for the third try with 76 minute elapsed.

The fourth try was a beauty. A penalty advantage call allowed Danny McHugh to chiped over the Coolmines line. Joe McGowan ran a nine counter to the defenders and sliced through, changed angle and cut to the line to ground close to the post. His conversion left it 36-3.

Coolmines managed to eek out a consolation try. The visiting hooker crossing following a sustained period of pressure. Hand’s conversion brought the final score to 36-10.

A good day’s work for Longford, particularly considering the demands on the players as a result in very challenging climactic conditions.

There will be a lot of excitement as the side looks ahead to next week and their crack at the league leaders on their home patch.

Longford: Michael Bannon, Ronan Keith, Dylan Quinn, Anthony Hughes, Benny McManus, Kieran O’Gorman, Hubi Connolly, Paul Gallogly, Neal Farrell, Daniel McHughes, Ciaran Kennedy, Colm Glynn, Shane Rodgers, Joseph McGowan, Sean Flynn

Replacements: Justin Murray, Arron Beirne, Derek Farrell, Finnbarr McGowan, Eoin Bartley