Limerick 3 Longford Town 1

Longford Town’s promotion hopes took a dent as quick fire Limerick scored a 3-1 victory in the Markets Field.

Just three minutes where on the clock when Limerick took the lead, Tomas O’Connor rising unchallenged to head home a corner.

The lead didn’t last long however Aaron Dobbs equalising in the 15th minute, powerfully heading home Anto Breslin’s pinpoint cross.

The goals really started to reign in and five minutes later Limerick were back in front this time Kieran Hanlon on hand to steer home Shaun Kelly’s cross.

Town came close to equalising with 31 minutes on the clock, Dean Byrne shot from a quick free-kick but Limerick stopper Jack Brady read it well to leave the score 2-1 at the break.

Limerick should have made it three two minutes after the break, Dean Zambra’s mistake left Karl O’Sullivan one-on-one with Lee Stacey but the Limerick’s man lob sailed over the bar.

Town were made pay on 50 minutes, Lee Devitt’s run found the Longford defence at sea as he calmly slotted the ball home past from Stacey.

Town came close to pulling one back but Conor Kenna’s goal was ruled out for offside and Sam Verdon headed over the bar on 64 minutes, when he should have done better.

Two minutes later Town had keeper Lee Stacey to thank as he quickly recovered to deny Shaun Tracy’s free-kick.

The result means Town fall to third place in the SSE Airtricity League first division as Drogheda United scored a 4-2 win over Cobh Ramblers to move to second place two points clear of town.

While Shelbourne continued their winning ways with a convincing 3-0 win over Galway United in Eamon Deacy Park, now holding a seven point lead over Town and five on Drogheda.

Limerick: Brady, Kelly (O’Dwyer 87), Murphy, O’Connor, Tracy, Williams, Devitt, Hughes, O’Connell (Barry 68), O’Sullivan, Hanlon (Foley 87)

Longford Town: Stacey, Breslin, Kenna, Elworthy, McDonnell, Zambra, Doherty (Grimes 73), Dervin, Verdon, Dobbs (Hopkins 80), Byrne (Evans 55)

Referee: Jason Mannix