Cabo end Longford Town’s Run

Kevin Knight brought Longford Town’s six game unbeaten league run to a halt as the Town finished the night with 10 men.

Town suffered a huge blow in the 12th minute when striker Dean Byrne, went off injured with a groin problem that will probably keep him out of action for several weeks.

The first real shot at goal came after 26 minutes, Dylan McGlade ran at the Cabo defence, turned inside his marker, his shot from the edge of the box going wide.


Disaster struck for the visitors on the half-hour mark as Cabinteely took the lead with their first effort on goal.

Anto Dalton floated a free-kick from the left into the Town box Dean Zambra misjudged his attempted clearance. The deflected ball fell straight to Knight at the back post, who fired home from close range.

The Town suddenly came alive and began to exert pressure on the Dubliners defence. On 35 minutes, McGlade cleverly lifted the ball over defender Knight, but struck well off target.

Town carved open the Cabo rear-guard on 39 minutes with a move involving Michael McDonnell, Dylan McGlade Chris Mulhall and Sam Verdon for a shot that fizzed wide.

Just before the interval, Town defender Daniel O’Reilly almost equalised but his thunderous 15-yard goal-bound shot was brilliantly blocked.

Cabinteely should have doubled their advantage just two minutes after the restart. Marty Waters superb ball put in Clucas with just town keeper Michael Kelly to beat.

Clucas, instead of shooting to the far bottom corner he played a harmless ball across the six-yard box that was easily cleared.

Waters was the architect again on 76 minutes setting-up Jack Watson who fired a shot just inches over the Town bar.

Longford completely dominated the last 20 minutes but failed to snatch a deserved equaliser due to a combination of poor finishing, good defending, and a couple of excellent saves from McGuinness in the Cabinteely goal.

The town almost scored a dramatic injury time equaliser.

Evan Galvin’s 20-yard shot was well saved by Stephen McGuinness but the ball came out to Verdon at the back post, who seemed destined to rattle the net from close range only for McGuinness to somehow get across to produce a magnificent save with Mulhall’s rebound blocked away.

The Town finished with ten men for the third time in four games as Galvin received his marching orders deep into injury time.

Cabinteely FC: McGuinness, Tuite, Fitzpatrick, Lotefa, Knight, Dalton, Watson, Dolan (Morgan 59), Casey (Byrne 71), Marty Waters, Clucas (McGee 71).

Longford Town: Kelly, Elworthy, McDonnell, O’Reilly, Noack-Hofmann, Chambers (Hopkins 56), Hollywood (Galvin 71), Zambra, McGlade, Byrne (Mulhall 12), Verdon.