Bray Wanderers 3 Longford Town 2

A last gasp Hugh Douglas header sealed three points for Bray Wanderers over Longford Town after a crazy three goal final 10 minutes writes Kieran Burke.

Luke Nolan put the ball through his own net six minutes from time, but Cillian Cantwell’s tap in and Hugh Douglas header saw Bray claim victory.

The game sprang into action as Longford Town were stunned at the Carlisle Ground, the Seagulls took the lead after just five minutes of play.


A moment of miscommunication in the Town defence allowed Joe Doyle in behind, whose brilliant cross allowed Derek Daly to head home in acrobatic fashion.

However, the visitors responded excellently, peppering the Bray goal with a number of shots resulting in numerous corners.

It was in fact a counter attack that led to Longford’s equaliser, Dean Byrne dazzled the Bray defence with his trickery before slotting under Gabriel Sava in the Bray net.

Ending that half on top, Town were extremely lucky not to go in at the break behind as Dean O’Halloran somehow hit the bar from just six yards out with the whistle sounding soon after.

The second half will certainty go down as one of the games of the season as three more goals were carved up among the sides.

First, a total breakdown in communication between Sava and defender Luke Nolan saw the Bray defender head into his own net giftting Longford the lead with just six minutes remaining.

However, set pieces would be Longford’s undoing, first Killian Cantwell turned home a Bray corner with three minute remaining.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Douglas came off the bench to thump a header past Lee Steacy and break Longford hearts.

The result see’s town now four points behind leaders Shelbourne, the Reds ran out 2-1 winners against Drogheda United.

Bray Wanderers: Sava, Nolan, Barnett, Cantwell, Heaney, Keegan (C), O’Halloran, Gannon, Doyle, McGlade, Daly

Longford Town: Steacy, Elworthy, Breslin, McDonnell, Kenna, Zambra, Dervin, Hopkins, Byrne, Verdon, Doyle