Donagh Kelly scored a narrow win in the Monaghan Four Seasons Hotel Rally, taking the lead just after the halfway mark to beat local ace Josh Moffett by six seconds at the finish.
Moffett lost his early lead when his Fiesta punctured on the sixth stage, costing him 32 seconds and letting Kelly’s older but more powerful Focus through, and despite a huge effort on the final loop, Moffett and co-driver Andy Hayes were unable to keep their unbeaten record in this year’s Triton Showers National Championship.
Three more National title holders filled the next positions, in the order Roy White, Declan Boyle and Sam Moffett, with Donegal’s Kevin Eves taking eighth overall and winning the two wheel drive class in his Corolla.
- Donagh Kelly/Conor Foley (Ford Focus WRC) 1h.05m. 00.2s
- Josh Moffett/Andy Hayes (Ford Fiesta WRC) 1h. 05m. 05.9s
- Roy White/James O’Brien(Ford Fiesta WRC) 1h. 05m. 33.0
- Declan Boyle/Brian Boyle (Ford Fiesta WRC) 1h 05m. 44.8s
- Sam Moffett/James Fulton (Ford Fiesta WRC) 1h. 06m. 12.4s
- Darren Gass/Enda Sherry (Skoda Fabia R5) 1h. 07m. 19.0s
- Joe McGonigle/Ciaran Geary (Mini WRC) 1h. 08m. 39.6s
- Kevin Eves/Chris Melly (Toyota Corolla) 1h. 08m. 52.7s
- Michael Carbin/Conor Mohan (Mitsubishi EvoVIII) 1h. 09m. 36.6s
- Peadar Hurson/Damien Connolly (Ford Fiesta WRC) 1h. 09m. 39.6s
Triton Showers National Rally Championship (Provisional positions after Round 3): 1. J. Moffett 59pts; 2. R. White 50pts; 3. P. Hurson 39pts; 4. J. McGonigle 35pts; 5. D. Boyle 33pts & 6. K. Eves 31pts.