Today’s Cookery Corner Recipe is Baked Alaska with a twist a la Chef Sham Hanifa of The Cottage Restaurant, Jamestown, Carrick on Shannon. Chef Sham says it’s pretty simply and he has top tips for how to do it quickly too! Listen back below for the piece in full:
Recipe: Lemon & Passion Fruit Baked Alaska
2oz self raising flour
Lemon & passionfruit curd –
Zest and juice of 4 lemons
2 passion fruit
2 tsp cornflour
4 egg whites
8oz caster sugar
500ml Vanilla ice cream
- Make the sponge by whisking the eggs and sugar together until thick and carefully fold in the flour. Spread the mixture into tin and bake for 12-15 mins.
- Make the curd by whisking all the ingredients together and put into a saucepan and cook on a medium heat, stirring all the time until it boils and thickens. Cool for 1 hour.
- For the meringue, heat the sugar in the oven covered for 5 mins, then whisk the egg yolks in a clean bowl until fluffy.
- Carefully add 1 spoon of sugar at a time until it thickens.
- Spoon the curd onto the sponge base and add vanilla ice cream on top.
- Pipe or spoon the meringue on top, Sealing in the ice cream.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180•c for 5-10 mins