On Cookery Corner this week with Chef Sham from the Cottage Restraunt Jamestown, he spoke with Joe about side dishes for your christmas dinner.
Brussel Sprout with Bacon and Nuts
1 net Brussel sprout (half)
1Tbsp Toasted Hazelnut
1Knob of Butter
1 packet Smoked Streaky Bacon
- Make sure the sprouts have been cleaned thoroughly
- Steam the sprouts above a covered pan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until soft but with still a little “bite” and still green.
- Cut one in half to check if they are cooked all the way through
- Cut the bacon into very small strips
- Put the butter in a pan and fry until crispy brown. Add the pecan and fry for another 2 minutes
- Take the steamed sprouts and add them into the pan with the bacon and pecan and fry together for a few minutes
- Sprinkle the toasted hazelnut and put in an ovenproof dish and keep warm in the oven until you’re ready to serve
Roasties (Roast Potatoes in Duck Fat)
1kg Maris/roosters Potato
150gm Duck or Goose Fat
Sprig of fresh Rosemary
- Use casserole dish or roasting tin in the oven (one big enough to take the potatoes in a single layer) and heat oven to 180C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Peelthe 1kg potatoes and cut each into half.
- Drop the potatoes into a large Sauce and pour in enough water to cover them.
- Add salt, bring water to boil. As soon as the water boil, lower the heat, put your timer on and simmer the potatoes uncovered, for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, put 100g duck or goose fat into the hot Casserole dish or roasting tin and heat it in the oven for a few mins, so it’s really hot.
- Drain the potatoes until fully dry, do it few times to fluff up the outsides.
- Carefully put the potatoes into the hot fat – they will sizzle as they go in – then turn and roll them around so they are coated all over.
- Spread them in a single layer making sure they apart, put in the Rosemary.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 mins, then take them out of the oven and turn them over.
- Roast for another 15 mins and turn them over again. Put them back in the oven for another 10-20 mins, until golden brown & crispy.
Honey Roasted Carrot and Parsnip
2/3 Sprig Thyme
2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
1tbsp Caraway Seed
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Arrange carrots and parsnips in a baking dish; drizzle with rapeseed oil.
- Toss to evenly coat vegetables. Pour honey and Caraway Seed, over coated vegetables and season with salt and pepper, toss to coat.
- Bake in the preheated oven until vegetables are very tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.