On Cookery corner with Chef Sham from the Cottage restaurant, Jamestown this week. Mince pies was the recipe.
Take a listen to Chef Sham talking to Joe Finnegan here:
To recreate the mince pies here is the recipe:
260/9oz plain flour
200g/7oz cold butter in cubes
140g/5oz icing sugar
2 egg yolk
50g glacé cherries
100g mixed peel
1 cooking apple peeled, cored & diced into small chunks.
125g suet or butter cut into small cubes.
50g crushed flaked almonds
225g brown sugar
1tsp mixed spice
Grated rind & juice of 1 orange & 1 lemon
- Rub butter into the flour until looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add icing sugar, egg yolks & drop of vanilla flavour until all comes together into a dough.
- Chill in fridge for 30 mins.
- Filling. Add all ingredients except the brandy into a heavy based saucepan & cook on a low heat until butter melted for about 5-10 mins.
- Leave to cool
- Add brandy & set aside. ( can be made up to 3 months in advance)
- Grease a cupcake tin with butter
- Take pastry from fridge & roll out onto a floured surface with a rolling pin.
- Cut 12 circles using a scones cutter and line the tin.
- Add a spoon of the filling and cover with another circle of pastry or star shape.
- Bake for 10-15 mins at 180 fan oven or gas mark 5.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins then turn out, dust with icing sugar & serve