Three Longford men remanded in custody on charges related to Galway shooting incident

Three Longford men were remanded in custody this morning in connection with a shooting and acid attack at a Galway funeral.

The incident, which is said to be related to a feud, took place at the Holy Family Church in Mervue on the 13th of January last year.

Robert Hannifin, of Corboy Edgeworthstown, Thomas Hannifin, 31, of Dublin Road Knockahaw and Denis Hannifin, 30, of Curry, appeared before a sitting of Longford District Court regarding the incident.


On the day in question, the three defendants attended a funeral where the injured parties, named as John, Patrick and Denis McGinley, were also present.

In CCTV footage reviewed by Gardai, the defendants were seen waiting at the funeral for a long time before “pandemonium” broke out when they were approached by the injured parties.

It’s alleged John McGinley was shot in the leg, with attacks to the other injured parties including a stabbing and acid attack.

Gardai attended the scene and discovered a plastic bottle with clear liquid inside, which was subsequently found to contain hydrochloric acid.

No handgun was recovered.

All three men were arrested between 7am and 9am this morning and taken to Longford Garda Station, where they were charged with a range of offences.

Denis Hannifin was charged with assault of all three injured parties, violent disorder and possession and reckless discharge of a firearm.

Robert Hannifin and Thomas Hannifin were both charged with violent disorder and assault.

They made no reply to the charges.

The court heard that Thomas and Denis Hannifin were both on bail at the time of the incident for other attacks, one of which was also allegedly connected to the feud.

In his testimony, injured party John McGinley stated he feared for the safety of his house and family if bail for the defendants was granted.

All applications for bail were rejected due to what Judge Séamus Hughes called the “seriousness” of the charges.

All three defendants were remanded in custody to Harristown.