Shannonside Civil Defence Units funded with almost €250,000 over last three years

The Department of Defence has provided almost three-quarters of a million euro in funding to Civil Defence units across the Shannonside region in the last three years.

Figures released to Shannonside FM reveal that 189 events were covered by Civil Defence units in the region in the first eleven months of last year.

Operational grants cover up to 70% of the cost of running Civil Defence units with the remaining 30% funded by local authorities.

Advertisement

In Leitrim the Civil Defence received a total of over €288,000 in grants to run the service between 2017 and late last year.

Latest figures from the Department of Defence also reveal there are currently 39 Civil Defence members in Leitrim – and they were involved in 45 operations in the first eleven months of 2019.

Longford’s Civil Defence Unit received a grant of €144,320 for 2019 – which the Department of Defence has explained covers the balance of grant payments for 2017, as well as 2018 and 2019.

In total, €193,533 was granted to running the Civil Defence in the county in the last three years – with 25 volunteers engaging in 59 operations during 2019.

In Roscommon funding of €263,535 was provided the by the Department of Defence, between 2017 and late 2019 to run the Civil Defence.

This also included a clerical support grant of €4270 which was introduced in 2019

In total 89 volunteers were involved in 85 operations in Roscommon between January and November last year.

Overall between 2017 and 2019, Civil Defence volunteers were active in 611 operations in the last three years.