Paramedic tells Longford murder trial deceased suffered two stab wounds

The trial of a Latvian man charged with a murder in Longford has heard from the paramedic who attended the deceased man in the immediate aftermath of an alleged stabbing incident.

Ann Duffy told the court that she arrived at the scene of the stabbing at 11.55am and found MrAkadiusz ‘Arek’ Czajkowski lying on the ground outside O’Hehir’s Bakery. with two stab wounds, both to the left side.

Rihards Lavickis (25) of Annaly Court, Longford admits stabbing a Polish man to death after he told gardai the deceased had smashed his apartment windows on Halloween night and he was going to “sort this out”.


The trial at the Central Criminal Court heard today that the 25-year old has pleaded not  guilty to murder but guilty to the manslaughter at Rue Noyal Chatillon, Townspark in Longford on November 1, 2016.


Patrick McGrath for the prosecution told the jury that the deceased, also known as ‘Arek’, was a Polish man who lived in Sweden for a time and then Northern Ireland where he had a partner and a number of children. He came to work in construction in the Longford area but was unemployed at the time of his death and had “quite a drink problem” in the years up to then.

The accused is Latvian and had been living in Ireland from about the age of 14. He lived with his partner and five-year-old son and was receiving State benefits at the time.

The court heard that on the evening before the stabbing, Mr Lavickis was with friends in the Longford area when a silver car pulled up and Mr Czajkowski got out. There was an interaction between the two men and Mr McGrath said there had been disputes and friction between them before.

The accused later went home and the next morning when he awoke his front windows had been smashed. He believed Mr Czajkowsi was responsible.

Mr McGrath said Mr Lavickis can be seen on CCTV footage and it looks as if he concealed himself as the deceased walked towards the Longford shopping centre. As Mr Czajkowski crossed the road the accused can be seen coming from where he was concealed and running at the deceased, his arm lifted with what the prosecution says is a knife in his hand.

The fatal incident was not captured by CCTV but Mr McGrath said the accused stabbed Mr Czajkowski three times. Within a minute Mr Czajkowski can be seen collapsing inside the shopping centre and he died quickly.

Mr McGrath told the jury that to bring a murder verdict they must be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the accused intended to kill or cause serious harm when he stabbed the deceased.

Paramedic Ann Duffy, was the first medical responder to the deceased man and She was told no air support was available so the decision was taken to bring him to Mullingar Accident & Emergency by ambulance and to meet an advanced paramedic team on the way.

They met the advanced team at Edgeworthstown and arrived at the A&E at 12.50pm.

The trial will continue on Tuesday in front of Justice Una Ni Raifeartaigh.