Meeting next week to outline future of Longford Greyhound stadium

A meeting is scheduled for next Monday which could decide the future of Longford greyhound stadium.

The track is provisionally due to closee this Friday, but fundraising efforts are now likely to mean it will be given at least a temporary reprieve.

Supporters of the track this month heard that approximately €25,000 would be required in order for it to undertake vital fire safety works, and to be able to continue racing dogs until at least the middle of next month.

Advertisement

As of this lunchtime, almost 21,000 euro of that target has now been found and a meeting will take place between directors of the track and the fundraising committee on Monday to decide the next steps.

Most of the money has been collected at the track and through donors, with the largest single donation of €500.

Sinead McKenna, who is part of the fundraising committee, told Shannonside FM they are stunned at how much money has been raised in less than seven days: