Foragers told to research carefully after mushroom poisoning in Ballymahon

People interested in nature and foraging are being advised to do careful research and if possible attend special classes or talks in order to be able to properly identify edible fungi or berries.

The advice comes in the wake of an incident involving poisonous mushrooms which were accidentally eaten by a woman after she picked them in the Ballymahon area earlier this month.

The woman is now understood to be seriously ill in hospital and members of the public are being advised never to eat anything they pick that they are not 100% sure of.

Speaking on Let’s Talk today, Wayne Frankham, who is community gardener at Knockvicar Organic Farm in Roscommon says that with the popularity of foraging and nature walks on the increase again, people should be aware there are very good ways of learning properly about the plants around them:

LEAVE A REPLY