Doctor warns of wild mushrooms danger after person hospitalised

People are being warned about the dangers of eating wild mushrooms they have picked if they are not very sure of what they are.

The warning comes after an incident involving a person who picked mushrooms in the Ballymahon area recently and is now seriously ill in hospital.

Foraging is becoming a more and more popular pastime in recent years through television and lifestyle changes, but people are reminded that eating poisonous mushrooms can have potentially fatal results.

Advertisement

Dr Ger Maher is Senior Medical Officer of Public Health with the Midlands HSE.

He says some of the most dangerous mushrooms that grow here can look very like the most common edible versions: