An open verdict has been returned at the inquest of a Polish man who drowned in the River Shannon in Leitrim last year.
The inquest into the death of 30-year old Janusz Jasicki, of Paddocks Cottage, Woodbrook, Shankill, Dublin found he died as a result of freshwater drowning.
Following an 11 day search last October, the body of a man was found in rushes on the Shannon at Corryahus by a man on a cruiser.
The inquest heard the deceased was part of an eight-man stag party which had arrived into Carrick On Shannon on the 30th of September.
The inquest heard evidence from members of the party that they were returning to their accommodation after a cruise on the Shannon that night at around 8.30 when they realised that Mr Jasicki was missing.
The 30-year-old had left the group near the top of the town to go the toilet but failed to return to their apartment.
Sgt Carla Curry told the inquest the deceased was last seen walking towards Breffni Crescent in the town.
Efforts were made to contact him by phone but he was not able to tell his friends where he was, and one witness today told the inquest that Janusz at one stage thought he was in Arklow and he appeared lost.
The inquest heard after several calls to Janusz, at 9.40, his phone went dead.
Cat Sawkins, the deceased’s partner told the inquest that she was alerted on Sunday October 1st that Jarick was missing.
She used a find my phone app to track his final movements which showed his phone last active in a field outside Carrick on Shannon.
Land, water and air searches were undertaken for Janusz and Paul Newman told the inquest that he saw what looked like a blue hand in reeds while on a cruiser at 6.30 pm on the 11th of October.
He sought assistance from.Lough Ree sub aqua club members and rang the Gardai.
The body was brought to the marina in Carrick on Shannon at around 9.20pm and subsequently transferred to Sligo University Hospital where it was positively identified by his brother.
An autopsy toxicology report revealed the presence of cocaine and 206 micrograms of ethanol in the deceased’s system and that the body showed signs of external decomposition.
Deputy coroner Fergal Kelly returned an open verdict in the absence of a jury with a cause of death fresh water drowning.